Sunday, February 16, 2014

Ball Lightning seen on February 12th, 2014.





















My Orchids. Brushstrokes with a Zoom. Photo ET

Ball Lightning seen on February 12th, 2014.

On February 12th, I traveled on Jet Blue from JFK to Fort Myers, on flight JB 1729, aboard an Embraer 190, seat 21D, a right window seat. The flight was very shaky as the whole US East Coast was under an important winter storm.

Two hours into the flight I saw at my right side, a bit aft, at the distance of about the span of the wing from the plane and maybe 20 feet behind the right wing, a dancing fireball with sparkles of a white-yellowish color. It was swirling and exploded. Though I was wearing headphones, I heard a muffled explosion. The event lasted maybe 2 seconds. No one else on the plane seems to have witnessed it. Indeed many were a bit frightened by the turbulences, and clinging to their seats. And there were only 4 rows on the plane behind me who could have seen it. A few moments later we were at the height of a thunderstorm, with some lightning going.

I tried to find an explanation to the phenomenon. As a former student majoring in aerodynamics, I could imagine a reason for the swirl but not the fireball, unless it was static electricity surrounding the plane.

I found literature that describes the extremely rare phenomenon of "ball lightning", which still is not well explained. Therefore I post this out there for anyone who wants to think about it.


One explanation has been advanced that explains that a lightning strike on the ground vaporizes silicon from the soil, which then elevates as a fiery ball. I don't think that there was silicon several thousand feet above ground. This needs another explanation. Maybe this helps those who chase this elusive phenomenon for an explanation. A good first look at it can be found on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning



1 comment:

  1. I experienced something similar about 30 years ago whilst flying around heavy thunderstorm weather at night. A lightning ball occurred in our DC-8 cockpit and crossed slowly at knee level, from close to the Flight Engineer panel and departing quite slowly past my seat (copilot) and to a point below the rudder pedals. We later assumed it to be a charged ball dust and dirt from the cockpit of this old plane, and although it physically brushed my left pants leg I felt no effects other than a "raising" of my body hair. There was a strong smell of ionisation accompanying this. A little startling and very interesting !

    ReplyDelete