Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Luxembourg House on Beekman Place, New York

On July 13th, 2011 took place at Beekman Place a small but intense ceremony commemorating the 20th anniversary (or so) of Luxembourg's acquisition of Irving Berlin's mansion in New York. It was also a signing the book occasion, "The Luxembourg House on Beekman Place" the wonderful work of authors Debra Pickrel, Pamela Hanlon and Marianne Matthews. I must say, knowing the subject, that this is a job well done, covering in three chapters the story of an exceptional building: the Forrestal Years, the Berlin Years and the Luxembourg House.

This takes me back as a key player to the beginning of the Luxembourg chapter. I elaborate in my memoirs those several months of struggle to perfect the acquisition of this certainly outstanding building. It was indeed a battle of Cannae to get the various parties to agree with my weak argument that I liked this building best. Stay tuned...










1993, official opening of the renovated Luxembourg House. L to R: Egide Thein, Consul General, Crown Prince Henri of Luxembourg, Jacques F. Poos, Minister of Foreign Affairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment