Friday, December 6, 2013

To Catch a Thief



To Catch a Thief

“The world is full of good people who do bad things, mon cher!” (Hercule Poirot, Agatha Christie's famous Belgian detective)

This  post  is in self-interest: My wife Francoise-Marie is a sculptor and painter. And it so happens that her work gets into various places in the world. And sometimes gets stolen.

Five years ago, the family of Kentucky Fried Chicken Founder, Colonel Harland Sanders, acquired a bronze sculpture, "The Ballerina" to accompany Margaret Sanders' poem "My Darling" on her Grave memorial at the Louisville Cave Hill Cemetery, in Kentucky. It is famous for its art and atmosphere. But alas, "The Ballerina" was stolen, about a month ago. The sculpture is a limited edition. This was # 2 out of seven, signed "Françoise-Marie". Born in Belgium, she appeals to the Hercule Poirot in you to catch the thief. 




Again the world is full of good people who do bad things. Proof, another theft occurred during a Traveling Exhibition with Cercle Artistique de Luxembourg in France, several years ago. Françoise-Marie's bronze sculpture "LaPenseuse" or "The Thinker" was stolen in the City of Metz. It was one of a limited edition of 7. It was never found. 

Every morning, a small part of humanity gets up with no good intent, the insurance guy would say.

Margaret Sanders' Poem on the Memorial:

My Darling

You think I am of the earth Earthly
But really I am like a ballet dancer
Poised briefly with just the tip of one toe
To the earth
But so attuned I catch the music
Hear naught of anything else
And go dancing on and on
To interpret the music that I hear
God plucks the chords of the harp
For my dancing
But one day I shall lift my toe
From the earth
And you shall find me
Only in the music you hear
For then I shall go
Just music

BY MARGARET SANDERS

No comments:

Post a Comment