Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Business-Friendly Bureaucrat Helped Build Tax Haven in Luxembourg










My Orchids. Phalaneopsis "Fine Print Ruling". Photo ET






















Business-Friendly Bureaucrat Helped Build Tax Haven in Luxembourg

The WSJ put its fingers on the crucial Luxembourg issue of the moment: tax avoidance. Of particular interest must be the revelation that for so long tax rulings have been a one-man show ….

Luxembourg has to navigate these waters too, after years of being under pressure to give up its tax evasion strategies, now is the time to address the pressure on tax avoidance schemes that often also involve Ireland, the Netherlands, BVI and Panama. This is happening at a time when the lines between tax avoidance, tax evasion and indeed money laundering fade away.

Luxembourg’s line of defense is going to be denial, claim legitimate application of all laws and agreements and subsidiarity.


I’m almost amused that so much generosity has been applied to multinationals in one meeting. Time ago I was victim of a financial crime in Luxembourg. More than 10 years of legal proceedings still are not over. I still finance the criminals' lifestyles. However, in the meantime, the Luxembourg tax man found revenue that was stolen from me, and I never knew. I was taxed on the stolen money!  I was invited to ask for a tax ruling, for forgiveness of the Euros 7,500 (not billions) in taxes through a "demande gracieuse". But my request for a tax ruling to forgive tax on stolen money took months, probably half a dozen people conspired on the about 50 pages of documents, and …..it got rejected! Of course crime pays for the Luxembourg tax man! He is a tax robber at his moments.



No comments:

Post a Comment